The Edge browser is missing the essential settings – the ability to change the default download location. Hmm..it is strange. Here is the way to do that – how to set the default download location in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10. There is no options under Edge Browser settings to change the default download directory C:\Users\<UserName>\Downloads by default.
How to set or change the default download location in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
- Close Microsoft edge browser, if it is opened.
- Open Registry Editor by pressing Windows + R key and type in regedit and press Enter.
- If prompted by UAC (User Access Control), click on Yes to continue.
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\
- In right-side pane, create a new String Value and name it Default Download Directory
- Double click on Default Download Directory and enter the new download path in the Value Data box.
- Close Registry Editor.
Other option is
Launch the File Explorer there you can see the Downloads folder on the left. Right-click it and select Properties. Click the Location tab, and enter a new path. Click Apply. This going to create a new download location for you. If you want to move the existing one , click on Move, choose a new folder location and say Yes.
These are the two ways you can set the default download location in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10. I hope, Microsoft will come up with an easy approach.
Hope it helped you 🙂